Monday, August 21, 2017

Classroom Updates

I can't believe we have already had THREE days of school. Technically 2 1/2 days because of the eclipse, but I'm totally okay with an 11 o'clock dismissal. Especially if it means I get to watch the eclipse with the hubby! I might have sorta taken a nap during the first part (beginning of the year teacher struggles) but I saw it when it mattered! We also had to drive through it to an appointment. The streets were so clear! But the drivers on the road may have still been wearing their eclipse glasses because they were driving like maniacs. Luckily we survived #eclipse2017

I didn't make too many changes to my classroom this year. I'm still loving the cupcake theme (although considering a pineapple theme for future years), but I updated my bulletin board to hold the CUTEST reading concepts posters. I'll post about those once I've finished the board. I also did some organizing, completed some things I've been meaning to do for a while, and rearranged some of my desk area items. I also have a goal to set as much stuff up for the beginning of the next school year so I'm not running around like a crazy person (which is how you could have described me this year).

BUT! I redid two classroom items that hold a special place in my heart. My nanny and pawpaw always had the best furniture. I loved everything in their house. When they passed away I received some very special items to me- a director's chair that I would always sit in and a table with chairs that I loved to play with. I wanted to incorporate them into my classroom so I fixed them up a few years back but they were in need of some TLC.

I painted the director's chair and got new canvas seating for it. I want to start by saying that I am the worst spray painter EVER. But when I get a bottle of the Rustoleum Satin (Paint and Primer), I can make miracles happen. This white was sprayed over black paint. It only took a couple of coats (which was really just for evening out). Then I used my Sillhouette Cameo (and my trusty iron) to make a personalized decal for it. This is my chair I use for read alouds, so it gets a lot of use! I picked the color to match my classroom rug and the carpet.


The little table and chairs I have are originally yellow with some scratches. I had covered it a few years ago, but lots of kiddos have used these chairs, so they needed a little redoing. I picked a light blue quatrefoil pattern to use. *love* The best thing is that I didn't have to SEW (by the way... I can't sew). All I had to do was iron, cut to fit, pull it tight and hot glue.

I hope everyone is having a great start to the school year! I can't wait to really get working with my new class of students. It's going to be a terrific year!

No comments:

Post a Comment