Sunday, November 15, 2015

Out with the old. In with the new.

I know that January is typically the time for changes. New year, new you, new goals... But I've decided to make today, November 15, a day for change. Keep on reading to find out how I'm changing myself.

I remember sitting in a college class a few years ago when my professor was talking about how schools are having a hard time keeping teachers in their schools. They said that the top year that teachers quit is after their fifth year. I remember thinking to myself "I will never want to quit! Teaching is my dream!" Then my fifth year happened... I don't know why there is a fifth year curse, but it's real. There's a time and a place to air out all that I went through, but now is not the time. We'll just say that I had fallen into a hole where I seemed to find the bad in almost everything. It's hard not to do that when you see everyone else doing it too.

I decided this year I was going to completely change. No more negativity for me. If people brought it to my door, I would choose to ignore it. Unfortunately it's not that easy. I'm seeing the same situations from last year that have me questioning myself, questioning my situation, and questioning my future. Let me say that I absolutely looooove my students. They are THE reason I teach. They will never know or see the heartbreak that I feel sometimes and I do everything in my power to make sure they see the greatness in everything they do.

So how am I going to change? I'm going to reflect and focus everyday on ONE good thing that happened. It might be a student quote that made me laugh, a success story, or a lesson learned. I've thought long and hard about where I want to post these positive notes and I've decided to go old school...well kinda. I'm going to tweet these little stories so that they will be saved and I will always be able to see them through my time hop app. Wanna follow my crazy life? Check out @amandapotter05 on Twitter.

Let me also add that venting is absolutely healthy and I'm still going to have my go-to therapists (Mr. R and my second grade team) but I'm choosing to focus on the positive from now on. Let's face it- somethings you just can't change. Might as well get it done and show everyone how much you rock.


No comments:

Post a Comment