Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Classroom Reveal

I know. I'm a day late and a dollar short on this post. (Really 17 days late but who's counting!)

I really hoped to have my life all together before posting this but I'm afraid that day may never come and today is as good as ever.

I had a blast designing my classroom this year! It was definitely hard work, but so worth it in the end. The whole time we were on our cruise in June, I kept thinking about how I needed to move everything over. When I started at my old school, I was given 25 desks, 25 chairs, 1 table, and 1 computer desk. That was it. I bought everything that was in my old classroom. For my 23rd birthday (when I was a first year teacher), my parents took me to a teacher store and told me to get anything I wanted. That carried over to my Christmas presents that year too. I made so little money that first year that 1/3 of my money went to rent, 1/3 went to student loans, and the other 1/3 went to the classroom. I'm not exaggerating and I'm not wanting sympathy... because every dollar I spent was worth it for my kiddos. I'm just hoping my friends can see that I wasn't joking when I said I was b.r.o.k.e that year. Over the years I've had fantastic parents who have donated so much, so I definitely had a lot to pack up and move.

We rented a U-Haul on what has to have been the hottest day of the summer. We spent hours loading it up and an hour unloading it. It looked like a classroom had exploded when we were finished.


One trip to my old school to grab one small load ended with me loading everything on my own. I just wanted to be done. I had Mr. R meet me at my new school and there were several bags that made him say "how in the world did you pick this up?" I think it was adrenaline. I was just excited to start organizing. #typeateacherproblems

I first wanted to paint my big bookshelf because the lime green would've clashed with my light green walls.

Then I sat and thought what have I done? But a snapchat from a long lost teacher bestie reminded me that I was born for this. I powered through and spent my last two summer weeks here as much as I could.


One of my friends asked what the boxes were... They are the school supply kits my students ordered. Totally want to ask for bright boxes next year!

Here's a closer look at some of my favorite spots:
So. Many. Books. And I can't stop buying them. More decor to come above the white shelves.

I've never had storage before. My writing center makes my heart happy!

Basically the command center. Calendar, visual schedule, smarty pants and lunch count.


Can we all just take a minute to say hallelujah for this heavenly piece of technology. #waitedsixlongyearsforthisthing


Area behind guided reading. Yes I hear "there's my sister!" twenty times a day. And yes the kids hear "I'm about to close the blinds." 

It's still a work in progress- need to get a word wall up, hunks and chunks board, decorate my teacher area... But I want to end with this: I love my school and I'm never leaving this classroom until I retire at the age of 65.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your classroom library. It is so inviting, I seriously would LOVE to sit and read there all day. By the way, I think teachers and any moms for that that matter, can just about carry anything.

    Have an amazing year in your adorable new classroom.

    Best wishes!
    Jen :)

    ReplyDelete