Friday, March 13, 2015

Read Across America Week

Better late than never, right? I had every intention of getting this post out last week, but life just has a way of not going how I planned sometimes. We've been busy in the future Rider household the last few weeks. The only motivation keeping me going right now is knowing that Spring Break is in 11 days. I can see the light, people.

Last week was Read Across America week and it was probably the best week we've had so far this year. I wish every week could be some sort of spirit week. (I'm sensing a few eye rolls here). I'm for real. If every week could involve at least one pajama day, then I think I would get a lot more work done. I bet I would've been able to get this post out in time! Ha. Let me break down our week for you in case you're looking for ideas for next year!

We started off the week with me sharing my favorite Dr. Seuss book, The Cat in the Hat. I mean you can't beat that story. Honestly, I love all Dr. Seuss books. The kids loved when I read Fox in Socks later on this week. They even made a contest between our reading coach and me to see who could make the least amount of mistakes (we tied!). After lunch, we made Cat in the Hat cookies by using oreos and Lifesaver gummies. These candies are Mr. R's favorite, so I had to carefully sneak them out of the house.

On Tuesday we had "Drop Everything and Read Day." Thank goodness I overheard one of my kids saying "but I don't want to have to drop whatever I'm holding at that time." We're a very literal class this year. But it gave us a chance to talk about idioms and how DEAR is just a saying. I still think I saw a couple of pencils fall at that time...


Wednesday was probably my favorite day of the week. I love a good dress up day and today we had to dress up as our favorite book character. The week before this, our reading coach took a picture of us with our favorite book and I decided to use If You Give a Cat a Cupcake. We all know my obsession with the cuteness of cupcakes, so I thought that book would be perfect. I also decided to base my costume on this book. So I present to you... a cat with a cupcake:


And here's Amelia Bedelia, Madeline, the cat, Fern from Babe, and The Paperbag Princess

Ahhh, pajama day. I swear we just do so much more learning on pajama days. Of course I had a parent meeting this day, so I looked so unprofessional, but just oh so comfortable. I kept a change of clothes in the car, so I wouldn't become a "People of Walmart" situation during my afternoon errands. We also brought our favorite books and spent time reading them to one another. So fun!

Fridays are the best no matter what week it is, but I was especially looking forward to this particular Friday. Our fun for the day was going to be having a guest reader. I decided to ask our reading coach to come in because my class really loves when she reads to them. She read Fox in Socks and they loved it!

Then I decided that my kids deserved a little something extra, too. So I decided to ask another guest reader to come in. A handsome reader, indeed.

The kids loved seeing Mr. R. He did such a good job reading to them. There is nothing better than a guy who is good with kids. It really got me looking forward to those future bedtime stories with our 5 future daughters (all wearing monogrammed PJs). ;)

Through the whole week we set out to decorate our doors as our class's favorite book. The class voted on Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren and boy was it hard to draw. I'm proud of our final work:


I hope everyone enjoys their weekend! 


2 comments:

  1. I love those cat in the hat cookies. I'm pinning.
    Thank you!

    Grade ONEderful
    Barbara Leyne Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, Pampered Teacher is giving away a free subscription box every month! http://pamperedteacher.com/blogs/news/19043583-how-to-win-a-free-pampered-teacher-subscription-box

    ReplyDelete